CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 7, 2008

a not so good wake up call

So this has been bothering me ever since it happened and I can't seem to get it out of my head...maybe blogging about it will help clear it out of my head. This happened about a week or so ago...
It's 2 AM and the boyfriends cell phone goes off. I was having trouble falling asleep so I was just laying in bed counting sheep. The first thought was "Oh @#$#", because we all know that a middle of the night phone call is never good (unless its a drunk dial, which I gladly would have taken over the call we did receive). However, since the bf is a doctor a middle of the night call is not all that uncommon. Turns out it was a patient of his and I was finally able to breathe again. The last time I got a call in the wee hours it was about my dad, who had fallen (sober) walking to his car from Metropolis and broke/dislocated his right foot-not the worse injury possible but the clincher is that he had driven himself (broken RIGHT ankle and all) to Evansville and Deaconess Hospitals ER before asking anyone for help. He ended up having to have surgery and pins and plates put in...but anywhoo, I'm off the subject. I was thankful that it wasn't my family or stepson but a little irritated at being disturbed (felt like &&^$ later for being irritated at all).
So this guy, we'll call him bo, had recently lost his son to suicide and therefore was frieking out because his daughter was in a BAD accident and he was at the hospital but no one would tell him anything. All he wanted was to know about his daughter. At first I thought this guy was being ridiculous for calling a family phsician to call the hospital and try to find out info on something he was so clueless about So the bf calls the hospital to find out the status of the girl, which ended up being just bumped and bruised and didn't require surgery. It wasn't until an hour later that we discovered just how bad the accident was. There were 6 kids driving home after having been at an under 21 night club and were met with another car full of road ragers (I suspect there is more to the story plot here, not sure if they had gotten in a spat at the club or what, but it was more than just a random road rager). After tailgating and some name calling the road ragers pulled in front of the car and slammed on their brakes, causing the innocent car to swerve and hit the guardrail on the opposite side of the road. This gets pretty graphic, so beware. The passenger in the front was not wearing his seat belt and was ejected from the car, impaling his head on the guardrail. This guy was the girls bf. After the girl got out from the car she naturally ran to him. She attempted to move his head and his brains began spilling out of his head. He was NOT dead on impact, he was able to talk and asked his girl to please help him and not let him die but sadly he passed shortly after that. Hearing screams from the car the girl runs to the driver, only to be greeted with one of his legs laying in the road. This boy (driver) had been in a previous accident and had to go through 18 surgeries to fix his leg--naturally he lost his "good" leg that night. Needless to say, this girl was traumatized. She was doing great physically but was emotionally gone. She never saw her bf alive again. The driver escaped with only the loss of a limb, but has since been charged with vehicular homicide, which is absolutely ridiculous. The girl is doing relatively well given the circumstances.
Sorry to post such a horror story but it has haunted me from day 1 and made me feel horrible for even thinking of being mad at the father orginally. Makes me very grateful to be alive with no disabilities. My heart goes out to the victims and their families. The other car has not been caught, I believe, but I hope that they are decent human beings and will come forward for causing such a tragedy. IF they don't I hope they are slowly eaten alive with guilt. May they rot in hell.

0 comments: